2009/04/27

Where is everyone?

What will happen if I go to stay in the Finnish countryside and take only a crochet needle, circular knitting needles, a blue marker, paper and one chisel?

I draw, walk, knit. I eat lingonberries and smoked salmon with hard dark rye bread that excercises the jaw muscles. Make sauna; draw; crochet. I learn to use kiitos, hyvaa and no nii in every conversation. I practice counting and naming the days of the week in Finnish. It becomes a mantra. Maanantai, Lauantai, Keskivikko... and so the weeks pass. I read the Kalevala because it is the annerversary of this epic creation myth. I use what is as hand - the language, the myths from the Kalevala, and wood from the sauna´s store room. It is birch. It smells wonderful when I cut into it. I draw every day, with the blue marker and the chisel. The drawn lines become a narrative. The drawings become a stages - they enact moments from my time here.